INSTRUMENT ASSISTED SOFT TISSUE MOBILIZATION
WHAT IS IT?
IASTM is an advanced form of soft tissue mobilization, which enables clinicians to efficiently locate and treat individuals diagnosed with soft tissue dysfunction. IASTM uses specially designed instruments intended to locate and manipulate soft tissue. These instruments provide clinicians with a mechanical advantage, thus preventing over-use to the hands.
IASTM instruments make it easier to detect and treat fascial dysfunction. They magnify the abnormalities (scars, restrictions and adhesions) in the fascia and make it easier to locate the area to treat. Using a tool focuses the force through an area smaller then your finger with less friction. This allows a more efficient treatment.
The goal of IASTM treatment is to trigger an inflammatory healing response. This will stimulate the production of new collagen and proper, more functional, less painful healing.
BENEFITS OF IASTM
- Decrease overall time of treatment
- Allow faster rehabilitation/recovery
- Reduce need for anti-inflammatory medication
- Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
- Clients can continue to engage in everyday activities
COMMON ISSUES TREATED WITH IASTM
- Cervical sprain/strain (neck pain)
- Lumbar sprain/strain (back pain)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (wrist pain)
- Plantar Fasciitis (foot pain)
- Lateral Epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
- Medial Epicondylitis (golfers elbow)
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis (shoulder pain)
- Patellofemoral Disorder (knee pain)
- Achilles Tendinitis (ankle pain)
- Scar Tissue
- Trigger Finger
- Shin Splints
Cited from DrArdrianCohen.com